Sunday, July 25, 2010

Meet Christina of UmeOrigami



Please meet Christina, owner of UmeOrigami on Zibbet. Christina resides in Irvine, California.

Tell us about yourself… I am a 24 year old graduate student who folds paper in order to get a little extra spending money on the side! I am working on my PhD in Art History and I have a deep appreciation for Japanese art and design. I am also an animal lover and I have a wonderful cat, salamander, gecko, and boyfriend to keep me company while I fold.

Describe your "style" and how it sets you apart from your competition. Colorful, Precise, Quality! I have seen other origami dolls being sold online, but I take a lot of pride in the quality of my dolls. As I always say, there is a gigantic difference between good quality washi paper and dollar store origami paper. With each and every doll, I fret and obsess over getting the best quality papers with the most beautiful patterns and designs. I think this really sets my work apart. I never worry about people zooming in to see the detail of my work, because the beauty really is in the details.

What is the "story" behind your shop name? When I lived in Japan, one of my favorite pastimes was taking floral photography with my very good friend. I had just discovered the macro function on my camera and I had fun with it wherever I went. One of my favorite “subjects” was plum blossom flowers (“ume” in Japanese, pronounced “oo-meh”). When I tossed around the idea of opening up my shop, the name immediately came to mind. We had such good times together so it is really a tribute to the fond memories of that year. Origami because... well... I make origami.

What is your favorite Zibbet shop? Mizu’s Garden: Japanese Kanzashi and Ribbon Ornaments. My favorite item at the moment is Hot & Spicy Pink Chrysanthemum Fabric Flower. I’ve been eyeing it since it was listed!

How long have you been a Zibbeter? Since February 8th, 2010.

As a seller, what do you like best about Zibbet? It would have to be the community. I always feel that the administration is listening to my thoughts with attentive ears and an open heart. Furthermore, all of the sellers I have met have been nothing short of amazing. Everybody wants to help everybody -- how often do you see that in a marketplace setting? People are open to ideas and I am elated to see the community grow.

As a buyer, what do you like best about Zibbet? The fact that sellers can include widgets in their shop so I can learn more about them. When I am shopping, I really like to get inside the head of the artist by checking out their social networks, their blogs, their photography, etc. Zibbet shops seem more like a whole personal shop as opposed to a shop hosted by a website. As a buyer, I enjoy looking at the way each seller chooses to configure their space. It gives me some insight into their style! My buying experience has been nothing short of amazing.

What else would you like the world to know about you and your Zibbet shop? I am happy to complete custom orders with custom hair colors! If origami dolls are your thing, my favorite projects are creating personalized kimono dolls. Simply send me a message on Zibbet or contact me via my website to set something up. They make wonderful presents, and I will happily add a magnet to the back of each doll free of charge. I am working on making Zibbet my primary venue so any and all sales will be found there in the future! Also, I am always looking for feedback on my work, so please stop by if you have a moment and let me know what you think or what I can improve.

Connect with Christina on her blog, Facebook and Twitter.

Japanese Origami Paper Doll – Marielle
Origami Earrings - Out to Pasture
Origami Pendant - Harmony on Ice
Bookmark with Origami Paper Doll – Dillon

Buy Handmade ~ Buy Handmade ~ Buy Handmade

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful feature, Vicki ... Christina is delightful and her art is just so yummy!

Post a Comment